February 18, 2015

There’s a new Frooti in town…

By Janhavi Sharma

Summers in India are all about mangoes. And a ready-to-consume mango drink which would quench this all-time obsession for mangoes, even in the seasons that it’s not available, was more than welcome in the Indian market. Frooti is possibly the most widely sold mango drink in India. Launched in 1985, it monopolised not just the markets, but also the hearts of everyone who grew up in the 90s. Perhaps the most popular drink by Parle Agro Pvt Ltd, it’s now celebrating almost three decades of success. And after reigning over the Indian beverage market for so long, it’s become more than a brand. For many, Frooti is synonymous with summer holidays, smuggling it in the classroom during school and the unexpectedly loud slurp which would invite trouble… with childhood.

The tagline ‘Mango Frooti, Fresh and Juicy’ was cherished by loyal consumers, until the very recent change to “why grow up” which helped strengthen its position as the market leader. When it was launched, Tetra Pak was a new concept to the Indian market and the rectangular pack was convenient and easy to carry. From being the first fruit drink in a Tetra Pak, to being the first to use a PET bottle, Frooti has come a long way.

frooti-old

For a long time Creativeland Asia had been responsible for Parle Agro’s creatives. This alliance recently ended and Parle Agro has been working with a number of agencies on the brands within its fold. It appears that international design consultancy Pentagram was tasked with developing a new packaging for Frooti.

10990625_839714649418916_1901993082_nImage courtesy @thefrootilife on Instagram

We’ve noticed a new Frooti popping up all over the place, remarkably different from previous iterations that glorified the mango in all its forms. Frooti is one of those brands that is instantly recognisable – show someone the corner of the pack or a snippet of the logo and they’ll guess it in a second. Which is why we were intrigued by the new design, which is a huge departure from everything we’ve seen before. Will this risky move pay off? It may be too early to say, but we asked a few people to share their views on Frooti’s new look.

WHY? Why would such an iconic brand like Frooti do this? A simple image of fresh mangoes would also do the job. Has the company actually paid for this or have they picked it up from a student packaging contest. Nothing works here. The typography nor the design. And the stencil font? Seriously? Even if they’re trying to bring in the stencil font on the wooden boxes of mango, yet it’s a complete miss.The elementary rule of design is that it needs to look good. All the best Frooti! Childhood ruined.
– Umesh Juwatkar Associate Creative Director, Contract Advertising Mumbai

A drink synonymous with nostalgic taste, Frooti like another brand holding the same court – Maggi, has been more about its reminiscence factor than it has been about its packaging, and presentation. Coupled with the fact that the mango is India’s most treasured fruit, Frooti always stood a strong winner. The new packaging, although unnecessary, tries to attempt spunk hitherto unknown to the brand. But does it work? The need to break out of the clutter of aerated soft drinks may have propelled Frooti to look for a stronger connection to the youth. But the strong font (that reminds someone of the Danger signs), its black set to camouflage the yellow behind it, is a complete contrast to Frooti’s brand personality.
– Meher Manda Graduate in Advertising, KC College, and self-professed Frooti lover

As someone who was very fond of the brand, and who designs packaging myself – I am very disappointed with the new design of Frooti. It feels that frooti is now a banned drink, with the font and style they have used. It’s not a font one would imagine to be used for a sweet mango drink… has a very negative vibe to it.
– Ismail bin Abdulrahman Winner of 2014 Kyoorius Student Award for Frooti Package Design

Frooti played quite a significant role when I was growing up. It was a mango drink that even our school gave us during events! And the product really communicated with me when I was young because of the font and the sheer mangoness of the packaging. Sadly, after I grew up I didn’t keep going back to buy Frooti, found it too sweet I guess. But I still associate Frooti with that fun packaging. The new packaging is just big blocks of font hiding the mangoes behind it. I don’t relate to it, I don’t think a 10-year-old would either.
– Samata Joshi Content head, Campus Diaries

“I have always had fond memories of Frooti. In fact, I’ve been sipping on it for years now – I had one on my first birthday, and even the last one I celebrated; I’m sure I’ll have pictures to prove that. And so the more I think about it, I realise, it was not just its flavour that made Frooti my most favourite drink– it was, quite literally, the entire package; the Frooti font, the mango motif, the little green tetra pack – all of it.

Which is why, I was disappointed with the new packaging; both as an ardent Frooti lover and as an art professional. While I understand, matching up to an iconic design is no mean task, the new design leaves a lot to be desired. The entire look and feel is way off category norms; instead the design should have capitalised on the brand’s existing equity. What we’re left with now is a product that looks unfamiliar. The typo against the mango motif makes the design look visually cluttered. It’s all Frooti, and no mango.

A little over 2 years ago, the apparel brand, GAP, commissioned a design agency to design its new logo. Unfortunately, the new logo didn’t go down well with fans. What followed was a movement, started by fans, to get the management bring back the iconic GAP logo. And that’s exactly what happened.

So I’m just a Frooti fan who wants his Frooti back.
Mango Frooti, fresh and juicy…”
– Abhishek Sawant Creative Director, Publicis

перехват трафика androidкак взломать страницу социальной сетианонимайзер вк с музыкой и видеобрутфорс mail ruбесплатный клавиатурный шпион для андроид

Share Button
Kyoorius is a bi-monthly print magazine on visual communications. Subscribe here. For buying a single copy (or any of the previous issues), write to us at sales@kyoorius.com. You can order the issue from Tadpole, get the digital copy from Magzter and also buy it from bookstores near you. For any feedback on the magazine or to submit your work, do drop in a mail to us at editor@kyoorius.com. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

TAGS , , , ,

Related Posts

Most Popular Stories of 2015. The year that was.

Secret-keeping and websites on sleeping: The Week Around the Web

Five Packaging Design Predictions for 2015

What’s inside Kyoorius 25

20 Comments

1. Anushree Singh

02.18.2015

Hello Frooti people,

First of all to be frank, The logo itself is so bad that its giving a negative impact. It shouldn’t have been black. And the font could have been a little groovy rather then being so straight and stencil type. Please kindly, work on the logo again. Happy with packaging. but redesigning of Frooti has seriously disappointed me.

I , as a graphic designer even took part in this contest. Where I can say that My design was far better in terms of logo- Color and font chosen was perfect for frooti.

* I know nothing can be done now. But if can, please kindly look into the matter. and atleast dont implement this logo.

Anushree singh
    Graphic Designer

2. Manik Singh

02.18.2015

Although am not a Frooti fan and always have cherished raw mangoes, what I see here is that they tried to tell us too loud its Frooti, while majority of us knew from the packaging that its Frooti. We didn’t even read the name mostly, we were so sure from the visuals. Now that you have done this, I don’t see how the inevitability fits with the design as it comes to evolution of it and what Parle wants the drink to become. They certainly wanted it for teens this time and more for Tue wannabe teens and adults. As such the design could hold on to adults this summer and Parole could see the sales soaring. Any which ways the Frooti fans are going to have their drink anyway so they might have thought of trying to go overboard to get some more into the Frootimania.
    Will be following the reactions and trends for Frooti this time.

3. Parul

02.18.2015

Yikes .

4. Ankan Bhowmick

02.18.2015

I was never a big fan of the Frooti packaging design to begin with. It was too generic and seemed like a design solution stuck in the late 1980s.

Coming to the latest iteration, I think it is a major missed opportunity. There’s just so much that could have been done with this iconic product. I would have expected energy and excitement in the packaging design, instead it seems like the product is angry at someone.

Still, I can forgive Pentagram Design for the output as they don’t have any root in India so they could have made an error in insight research but what about the brand manager of Parle Agro? They are required to have a finger on the pulse of the visual language vocabulary of the country.

Finally, there are so many design studios in India who are doing ground breaking packaging design work. Why send the project to a company who don’t have a base in India and thus lack a proper insight?

5. Ms.Mrunalini Dodkey

02.19.2015

Why change the packaging? and that too it is not attractive. I don’t see it will attract consumers anymore. There are so many creative ways of packing but frooti doesn’t need it.

Either keep the packaging same or atleast think of some great ideas.

6. Rishabh

02.19.2015

At first I thought that this is some cheap replica of the original drink which is sold in rural parts of India. Though I never complained about the spelling which says”Frooty”, but it was the look of mango shaped font which has always differentiated from its arch rival “Maaza” which actually copied the leaf on an alphabet. The new stencil font seems to be more of a “Danger” sign then actually conveying any significant brand impact. If social media left anything to spoil it was the logo and now Parle Agro themselves did the job. I am a mango man and I am missing the mango on package.

7. Yashomandira

02.19.2015

“Mango Frooti fresh n juicy” having grown up this jingle around. Its complete NO to Change in font and packaging colour for “FROOTI”. The current changes in packaging colour are not so enticing even to touch it. Pervious fluorescent yellow and green were bright and tantalizing the consumer to consume it, but the current colour somewhat feels dull and undesirable. Even in packaging design the company’s name is after the frooti logo. The font size as well as the font itself should not drastically change. Too much of orange colour in packaging is spoiling the game all together.

Having frooti whenever I felt like eating mangoes all through the year, I strongly endorse the font shape, size and colour of packaging as the pervious one without experiencing any changes.

8. Maulik Dave

02.19.2015

I feel that childhood of Frooti is stolen. I can’t say that its the same old Frooti. Brand recall might be zero in future days. Even the naked bottle with only name Frooti might be useful for duplicators. As 300ml is the most selling package in bottle. This is not a positive change.

9. Puran

02.19.2015

You guys fucked it up. Cigarette packs with live threatening images look better then this. Were you guys stoned? Dont think so, coz even a stonner has the better sense of art.

10. PAYAL MACHAVE

02.20.2015

I would blame the Parle Agro for not considering a indian design team to work on the project. Some childhood memories associated with this summer drink/ brand. The bold black typeface adds no character to the drink. The graphic language looks nothing new and groundbreaking. Really bad job done.

11. Love Art

02.20.2015

I’m not sure about the concept behind the design but looks like the Frooti team has been hypnotised by Victorian English!! Same thing happend with Godrej rebranding by interbrand, London.

12. Aasha

02.25.2015

It gives a warning effect similar to ‘banned’ or ‘danger’ … the font and the black color of the font.It does attract attention though!

13. Sunil

03.04.2015

The Old frooti design was good but kind of very conventional. I think it’s time to open our mind and to think about taking risk and bold steps. Lot of people from our field always take example of west, Why cant we do work like this. YES WE CAN. But need to come our of comfort zone of Conventional design. This design is not going to down the sell of frooti….but it’s bolder step for the Brand.

14. SUshil

03.16.2015

Advertising people be literate by language. Being humble is the most noble way to construct the world around you. All top people like above contract advertising you all are the leader may be but “The more fruits contained a tree the more it leans”. Change a attitude or i will feel again that i am in to the cheap people media like BOLLYWOOD lukhe.

15. Pranav

03.27.2015

The Typo could have been better,
    people are much more personal and also stuck to their own memories of 90’s. and I don’t get it why a kid wont buy it they are saying!! earlier they bought it just because it had a mango on it? Looking at the new tetra pack the glass bottle the triangle shaped sipper packing is so new, imagine the stores with 50-60 sippers hanging in the grid of those triangles : )
    also they have done so new cool videos and posters, maybe killing the old look but from the companies point of view they need to grow and get noticed in the bigger market. maybe these colours and packing and the adds can be a revolution type of thing for the new generation of kids with some vibrant colours.
    look at this
    its soo good, apart from SRK drinking it : p
    definitely 100% times better than the previous add of just watching SRK drinking it and watching him gulp down the frooti and he becomes a baby. where there was no creatives involved in it. where we just cut the actors role form 3minutes to 10seconds by putting some creative in it : )

I feel Its a Good Job !!!

16. Gavrilo Bozovic

03.27.2015

Hmm.. Sagmeister & Walsh did the rebranding, not Pentagram. Please double-check your facts.

17. sripattur

03.27.2015

Pentagram, for once they got it wrong… the essence of India.
    Fletcher must be wondering to see such a work from pentagram.
    Let’s hope someone gets it right.
    Sri